My chosen concept was my bike piece.
Essentially every layer that I made was a copy of the original, which I then cut out any specific chunks that I wanted. I experimented with different shapes and saw that the more square shapes worked better since the cuts didn’t blend in with each other. This was particularly important for the background, because I found that cutting and pasting back on resulted in the tree trunks and leaves only looking slightly different. I made sure to make a good degree of angle changes in all my cuts, and with jagged edges you could really tell the parts were not connected as opposed to round edges. The only real part of the layers that I experimented with was the layer modes. I used various ones such as “multiply”, “screen” and “darken”. Really it was just a matter of moving layers up and down and see how each layer mode affected each other layer mode. It was very interesting. When it came to my face, I took two separate picture of myself, and added a screen mode to one and a darker color on the other.
Perhaps the only labor intense work came when I had to make the space in between the spokes see through so that I could see my layers underneath. I did this by using the jagged lasso tool and make tight corner selection. I saw this did the job much better then the quick select because it didn’t get confused with anything I didn’t want. And when having to do more rounded edges on the inside of the wheel, I just used the pen tool, which I then right-clicked, made into a selection, and then erased.